The Aadhaar card is now one of the most important documents. Without Aadhar card, it is not possible to complete any paper work now. So its obvious that your mobile number should be linked to Aadhar card. In this article we are going to see “How to update mobile number in Aadhar card” and easy way to “Change or Add a Mobile Number to an Aadhaar Card“.
If you have created an Aadhaar card but your mobile number is not linked to it, you may face difficulties in a variety of things. Aadhaar must be linked to a mobile phone in order to be used in many places. If you have changed your mobile number, you must update the new numbers on the Aadhaar card.
In such a case, UIDAI has also issued an update regarding the linking of the mobile number in the Aadhaar card, as well as information on the process of linking the number in the Aadhaar. If your mobile number is not linked to your Aadhaar card, this is good news. Let’s look at how you can link your mobile number to your Aadhaar.
Why is it important to link mobile with Aadhaar?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit verifiable identification number issued by UIDAI that serves as a person’s identity and proof of residence. One of the most significant benefits of the Aadhaar Card is that it allows the holder to receive government subsidies. So, it becomes necessary to have your mobile linked with Aadhaar card.
There are many benefits to have updated mobile number linked to Aadhaar. Your mobile number must be registered with UIDAI in order to receive Aadhaar benefits and online services and if you want to make changes to your Aadhaar data online, your mobile number must be linked to your Aadhaar or UIDAI. There are many advantages to have mobile linked to Aadhaar.
- When you make some changes to your Aadhaar card, you receive an OTP. It is only through OTP, some data changes can be made to the Aadhar card. If the Aadhar card does not have a mobile link, then you will not get OTP and if the old number is updated, then the same problem will happen. In such case, get your mobile number linked to Aadhaar.
- There are many online tasks/process which requires OTP validation after entering the Aadhaar card number. In such a case, the mobile number must be linked to Aadhaar else wont be possible to do anything online. Some examples are like opening trading account, bank account, pan card income tax e-filing, rent agreement etc.
- You can also use your mobile phone to access Aadhaar services by downloading the mAadhaar app and entering your registered mobile number.
- You must have a registered mobile number in order to download an Aadhaar Card online.
- EPF claims and withdrawal
- Getting a new PAN
How to Register Your Mobile Number in Your Aadhar Card?
To register/add your mobile number to your Aadhaar card, you must go to an Aadhaar Enrolment/Update centre. It usually takes 90 days for a mobile number to be updated and sometime it happens within couple of weeks. To register your mobile number in Aadhaar, you must follow the steps outlined below.
Step 1 – Go to the UIDAI’s official website and then click on Find an Enrollment Center.
Step 2 – Locate an Enrolment / Update center near you.
Step 3 – Fill out the Aadhaar Enrolment Form and include your mobile phone number.
Step 4 – Now, submit the form to the executive and provide biometrics to verify your information. You need to pay ₹ 50 as fee.
Step 5 – The executive will then hand you an acknowledgement slip with an Update Request Number (URN).
Step 6 – Finally, you can check the status of your Aadhaar update by calling UIDAI’s toll-free number 1947 or by entering your URN number online.
Fees and Documents Required to Register Your Mobile Number in Aadhaar
When you enrol for a new Aadhaar Card, there are no fees for registering your mobile number in Aadhaar. However, if you want to update or change any demographic information, including your phone number, you must pay a fee of 50. Other than the original Aadhaar Card, you do not need to submit any documents when updating or registering your mobile number.